How do I migrate CCH Prosystem fx Practice Management to a new server?
Warning: Prior to changing SQL server, verify that a current backup exists for the SQL Database(s) being moved. Failure to do this step may result in complete loss of data. Click here for instructions on How do I create a backup of my ProSystem fx Practice Management database?.
Steps to Migrate Practice Management from one server to another:
- Note: Applies to PM versions 2007 and higher
On the current server:
- Log in to the Administration module of Practice Management.
- Go to Help > View Active Processes and verify that you are the only person logged in to the program.
- Once verified, select Disable logons and close out of this screen.
- Go to Help > About ProSystem fx Practice Management > Additional Info and locate the “Host Server “ name and “Host Database” name to verify that the correct database will be selected during the backup process.
- On the current server, go to the 'CPAS\VPM' folder and run cpasSQLUtil.exe.
- On the Logon screen, select what showed as the “Host Server” name in the Additional Info screen and Windows Authentication and click Logon.
- Right-click on your database name and choose Backup Database.
- Select a local location to save the backup to, and hit save - Do not save to the Desktop and make sure that “.bak” is listed in the file name when saving.
- Close out of the cpasSQLUtil.exe.
- On the current server, go to CPAS\VPM and make copies of the CPASTemplates, Images, Permkey, RTF, and UserTemplates(if it exist) folders.
- Copy the backup of the database and the folders copied from Step 9 in to a location that is accessible from the new server.
On the new server:
- Launch the Software Delivery Manager.
- Log in using your Single Sign-On (SSO) login and password.
- If this is not yet installed, click here for instuctions on how to download Software Delivery Manager.
- Download the Full Install for Practice Management.
- Select Install ProSystem fx Practice Management.
- If your server is not a Domain Controller you will select both Application and SQL Components to install.
- If your server is a Domain Controller only select to install Application components then refer to the section below for Domain Controller Instructions.
- Choose the location to install the application to.
- Note: This should be changed from the default to a shared location that the users have full control of.
- Select your permission key; either downloading it from our website, or pointing to the permkey folder you copied over from the old server in the steps above.
- Next you will put in the Database server name which will be “yournewservername”\PRACTICEMGT and the Database name will be the name you retrieved from the Additional Info screen for “Host Database”.
- Click Install.
- Once the install finishes, click Exit.
- If your server is a Domain Controller, complete the following steps:
- You will need to install the SQL portion of the install manually.
- Go to CPAS\SETUP\VPM\WORKSTATION\SUPPORT\SQLEXPRESS and run SQLEXPR.exe.
- Click here for instructions on the options to choose during this install and reference the document there titled “Installing MS SQL Server 2008 R2".
- Note: You will use your email and password you have registered with our website to access this document.
- Run a workstation setup on the server located in CPAS\SETUP\VPM\SETUP.EXE.
- Go to CPAS\VPM and run cpasSQLUtil.exe.
- On the Logon screen, select “newservername”\PRACTICEMGT and Windows Authentication and then logon.
- Go to Database > Restore.
- Locate the .bak file you brought over from the old server and click Open.
- Note: You will want to make sure this location is local to the machine and not on the desktop.
- Once the database has restored, go up to File > Accounts > Assign User Account.
- The Account will be your database name.
- Password will be Today12345.
- Choose your database name from the dropdown.
- Click Save.
- Close cpasSQLUtil.exe.
- If you have upgraded to a newer version than what was on the old server, you will need to run Versiondb.exe located under 'CPAS\VPM\UPDATES'.
- Replace the CPASTemplates, RTF, Images, and UserTemplates(if applicable) folders inside of CPAS\VPM with the folders copied over from the old server.
Also: If you are going to leave your Windows Firewall on at your new server you will need to set up some Exceptions/Inbound Rules for SQL. Please click here for instructions on what to exclude for Practice Management.
On the workstation:
- Delete the pmnet.ini files located in the Users directory on the workstations.
- Click here for instructions on locating the pmnet.ini files.
- Rerun workstation setup on all machines from new server located in 'CPAS\SETUP\VPM\SETUP.EXE'.