How do I migrate CCH® Prosystem fx® Practice Management to a new server?
Warning! Prior to changing SQL server, verify that a current backup exists for the SQL Database(s) being moved. Failure to do this step may result in complete loss of data.
This article applies to Practice Management versions 2007 and higher.
On the Current Server
- Log in to the Administration module of Practice Management.
- Click Help > View Active Processes to verify that you are the only person logged in to the program.
- Once verified, select Disable logons and close this window.
- Click Help > About ProSystem fx Practice Management > Additional Info.
- Locate the Host Server name and Host Database name.
- We want to verify that the correct database will be selected during the backup process.
- We'll use these names in steps below.
- Browse to the CPAS\VPM folder and run cpasSQLUtil.exe.
- On the Logon window, select what showed as the Host Server name in the Additional Info window.
- Select Windows Authentication and click Logon.
- Right-click on your database name and choose Backup Database.
- Select a local location to save the backup to, and click Save.
- Do not save to your Windows Desktop
- Make sure that .bak is listed in the file name when saving
- Close the cpasSQLUtil.exe.
- Browse to CPAS\VPM and make copies of the CPASTemplates, Images, Permkey, RTF, and UserTemplates(if it exist) folders.
- Copy the backup of the database and the folders listed above to a location that is accessible from the new server.
On the New Server
- Open Software Delivery Manager.
- Log in using your Single Sign-On (SSO) login and password.
- If this is not yet installed, click here for instuctions on how to download Software Delivery Manager.
- Download the Full Install for Practice Management.
- Select Install ProSystem fx Practice Management.
- If your server is not a Domain Controller you will select both Application and SQL Components to install.
- If your server is a Domain Controller only select to install Application components then refer to the section below for Domain Controller Instructions.
- Choose the location to install the application to.
- This should be changed from the default to a shared location that the users have full control of.
- Select your permission key.
- Download it from our website or point to the permkey folder you copied over from the old server in the steps above.
- Enter the database server name which will be “yournewservername”\PRACTICEMGT.
- Enter the database name that you used on your old sever (the database name that you found in Additional Info in the steps above).
- Click Install.
- Once the install finishes, click Exit.
- You will need to install the SQL portion of the install manually.
- Go to CPAS\SETUP\VPM\WORKSTATION\SUPPORT\SQLEXPRESS and run SQLEXPR.exe.
- Click here for instructions on the options to choose during this install and reference the document there titled “Installing MS SQL Server 2008 R2".
- Note: You will use your email and password you have registered with our website to access this document.
- Run a workstation setup on the server located in CPAS\SETUP\VPM\SETUP.EXE.
- Browse to CPAS\VPM and run cpasSQLUtil.exe.
- On the Logon window, select “newservername”\PRACTICEMGT and Windows Authentication and then logon.
- Go to Database > Restore.
- Locate the .bak file you brought over from the old server and click Open.
- This location has to be local to the machine.
- This location cannot be on the Windows Desktop.
- Once the database has restored, click File > Accounts > Assign User Account.
- The Account will be your database name.
- Password will be Today12345.
- Choose your database name from the dropdown.
- Click Save.
- Close cpasSQLUtil.exe.
- If the version of Practice Management on the new server is a newer version than what was on the old server, browse to CPAS\VPM\UPDATES and run Versiondb.exe.
- Replace the CPASTemplates, RTF, Images, and UserTemplates(if applicable) folders inside of CPAS\VPM with the folders copied over from the old server.
Warning! If you are going to leave your Windows Firewall on at your new server you will need to set up exceptions and inbound rules for SQL.
At Your Workstations
- Delete the pmnet.ini files located in the Users directory on the workstations.
- Click here for instructions on locating the pmnet.ini files.
- Rerun workstation setup on all machines from new server located in 'CPAS\SETUP\VPM\SETUP.EXE'.