CCH® ProSystem fx® Engagement or Workpaper Manager ribbon is missing from Microsoft® Excel® or Microsoft® Word.
- Article Type:
- Problem Resolution
- Last Modified:
- Engagement or Workpaper Manager ribbon is missing from Microsoft® Excel or Microsoft® Word.
- CCH ProSystem fx Engagement
- CCH ProSystem fx Workpaper Manager
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Office 365 Desktop Installation
List of possible causes:
- Hung instance of Excel or Word is running in the background.
- There are files in the Disabled Items in the Addins list for Excel or Word.
- There are no Disabled Items in the Addins list, but the ribbons are not enabled in the COM Addins.
- The addins are missing, damaged, or corrupted.
- Microsoft® Visual Studio is missing, damaged, or corrupted.
- The Windows profile is corrupt and needs to be recreated.
- For Engagement or Workpaper Manager version 2018 and higher, use the App Checker Utility to resolve the issue. For all other versions of Engagement or Workpaper Manager, complete method 2 through 4.
- Close all open Microsoft® Excel® or Microsoft® Word files. If needed, use Task Manager to close any unresponsive files.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to open Task Manager.
- Look for EXCEL.EXE or WINWORD.EXE processes that have stopped or are unresponsive.
- Right-click the Excel or Word processes that have stopped or are unresponsive, and then click End Task.
- If the issue persists, uninstall and reinstall the ribbon.
- Make sure the ribbon is active in Microsoft® Excel® or Word.
- If the ribbon will not stay enabled, repair all Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime installs on the machine. These installs may include the following:
- Microsoft® Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office 2005
- Microsoft® Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime
- Microsoft® Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime
- Check a different Windows profile on the machine. If another Windows profile works fine, then the user's profile is corrupt and needs to be recreated.
- Run a repair to Microsoft® Office. (Note: If running Microsoft® Office 365™ it's recommended to run an Online Repair instead of a Quick Repair.)
- Follow steps in the below article and run a repair to Engagement or Workpaper Manager.
- How do I repair an existing install of CCH® ProSystem fx® Engagement or Workpaper Manager?
- If you are encountering an issue where all ribbons have disappeared when only with opening Knowledge Coach workpapers in Microsoft® Word please review this article: