How do I manually install Microsoft SQL Server for CCH ProSystem fx Practice Management?
- Article Type:
- How To
- Last Modified:
Manually install a SQL Server named instance for use with CCH ProSystem fx Practice Management.
CCH® ProSystem fx® Practice Management
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express
- Other versions as well as the Full editions of Microsoft SQL Server are supported. See our System Requirements for more information.
- The Express editions are available free from Microsoft’s Web site. There are multiple installers of the Express edition. The screenshots used in this document are from a 2014 Express 32-bit installer without additional tools, installing on a machine with no previous SQL install. Other versions or installing where a preexisting SQL instance is located may look different from the screenshots presented here.
- The installer needs to be run on the machine SQL is being installed to.
- Domain Controllers and Terminal Servers are not recommended for hosting SQL instances.
To manually install Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express, do the following:
- Locate the Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express installer and launch.
- Select where to extract the installer files and click OK.
- Note: This is an extraction folder for the installer files. It is not part of the installed program and can be removed after installation.
- Select New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
- The next screens will perform rule checks and scan for updates. If the rules are passed, it will skip to scanning for updates. If any rules fail, they will be displayed in Details.
- Note: Refer to Microsoft resources for assistance with failed checks.
- Click Next to install Setup Files and Install Rules.
- Select Perform a new installation of SQL Server 2014 and click Next.
- Accept the License Terms and click Next.
- Select Database Engine Services and SQL Client Connectivity SDK and click Next.
- Note: The Instance root directory shows where the installed instance folder, and ultimately your data, will be located. You can change this location, but it must remain on a local drive of the SQL server.
- Select Named instance and enter PRACTICEMGT for the instance name. Press tab and the name will populate to the Instance ID field as well. Click Next.
- On the Server Configuration screen, it is usually best practice to set the Account Name for the services to NT AUTHORITY \LOCAL SERVICE for both services. Make sure both services are set to Automatic for the Startup Type. Click Next.
- Select Mixed Mode for authentication and enter then confirm a password for the SQL server system administrator (sa) account.
- Note: Our default/recommended password is PracticeUser1.
- Select the User Instances tab at the top and deselect the option to allow user instances. Click Next.
- The installer will complete the installation. Click Close.
Configure protocols to allow remote connections:
- Search Windows programs for SQL Server 2014 Configuration Manager and launch the application.
- In the navigation pane, expand SQL Server Network Configuration (32bit) and select Protocols for PRACTICEMGT.
- Ensure that all 3 protocols are enabled (TCP/IP, Named Pipes and Shared Memory).
- Right-click to select Enable.
- After enabling the protocols, you will be prompted to restart the service. Select SQL Server Services from the navigation pane, right-click the PRACTICTMGT service and select Restart.