How do I install CCH® ProSystem fx® Practice Management for the first time?
Warning! If you need to update an existing installation of Practice Management to the latest version, do not use this article. Instead click to find out how to upgrade an existing installation of CCH® ProSystem fx® Practice Management to the latest version.
Warning! If you are installing Practice Management to a new Workstation for the first time, do not use this article. Instead click to find out How do I run a workstation setup for CCH® ProSystem fx® Practice Management?
This article explains how to install Practice Management for the first time.
Use Software Delivery Manager to download the installation files for CCH® ProSystem fx® Practice Management. Software Delivery Manager lets you download installation files as soon as product updates are available. After downloading the installation file, you will then run it to begin the installation process.
Use the links below to scroll to a specific part of this article.
- Process Overview
- Verify Your ProSystem fx Office Account Number and Password
- Install Microsoft® SQL Express and CCH® ProSystem fx® Practice Management on the Server
- Setup Individual Workstations
- Create a Database
- Verify Your SQL Backup Routines
- Setup Your Practice Management Database
Installing Practice Management is a six step process. Perform it in the following order.
- Verify your Prosystem fx Account Number and Password.
- Install Microsoft SQL Express (optional) and ProSystem fx Practice management on the server. If you have not previously installed SQL Server, you can select to install Microsoft SQL Express.
- Set up individual workstations.
- Create the database.
- Verify your SQL backup procedures.
- Set up your ProSystem fx Practice Management database.
You will receive a new customer welcome e-mail that provides instructions to set up your ProSystem fx Signle Sign-On (SSO) user profile. This setup includes your account number as the business ID number on your initial e-mail and your password. Make sure you have your account number and password before starting the installation. You will need this information to activate the permission key for the software licensing.
- Install Software Delivery Manager if you have not already done so.
- Click to find out how to install Software Delivery Manager.
- Download the installation file for CCH® ProSystem fx® Practice Management using Software Delivery Manager.
- Click to find out how to use Software Delivery Manager to download installation files.
- In Software Delivery Manager, after you have downloaded the installation file for the latest version of Practice Management click View downloaded file in Windows to open the target folder.
- Double-click the installation (.EXE) file to begin the installation.
- Select Install ProSystem fx Practice Management and click Next.
- Accept the License Agreement and click Next.
- Choose the components to install. If you have not previously installed SQL Server, select to install Microsoft SQL Express and the ProSystem fx Practice Management Demo Data and then click Next.
- Select the install location for ProSystem fx Practice Management and then click Next.
- Note: This location should be a share on the server with full rights (read and write) granted to all Practice Management users.
- If you selected to install Microsoft SQL Express, you will get a second Choose Install Location window. Select the install location for Microsoft SQL Express and click Next.
- Select one of the permission key options for this installation and click Next.
- Enter the information about your server and database.
- Database Server. If you selected to install Microsoft SQL Express, this will list the name of your server and the name of the installed SQL instance (PRACTICEMGT). If you have installed your own version of SQL, you will need to input the server name and the SQL instance name [server\instance].
- Database Name. Enter the name of your new ProSystem fx Practice Management database (Example - practicedata).
- Do not use CLSSQL, as that is the name of the Demo Database.
- Do not use special characters in the name of your database.
- Note: Write down the information you've entered in these fields. You will need it later in the installation process when creating your database.
- Click Install.
- Shut down everything that is running on the workstation and exit all applications.
- Browse to the share on the server where you installed Practice Management.
- We recommend using a mapped drive to the share.
- Browse to CPAS\Setup\vpm.
- Double-click Setup.exe.
- Select Install ProSystem fx Practice Management Workstation and click Next.
- Accept the License Agreement and click Next.
- Choose the components to install.
- Remote should only be selected for laptop computers that will be used to access the program while not connected to your network.
- Click Install.
If you are converting from another software, Professional Client Services will use this as a "shell" database for your converted data.
To create a new ProSystem fx Practice Management database:
- Browse to CPAS\VPM\Updates (on the server share where Practice Management is installed) and double-click VersionDB.exe.
- Select Create a New Practice Management Database.
- Enter your SQL Server Name and Database Name.
- This is the information noted from step 9 of installing Microsoft® SQL Express and CCH® ProSystem fx® Practice Management on the Server.
- Enter the SQL Server System Admin Logon.
- If you selected to install SQL Express earlier in the installation, this will be SA.
- Enter the SQL Server System Admin Password.
- If you selected to install SQL Express earlier in the installation, this will be PracticeUser1.
- Enter a SQL Server Practice Management Logon.
- Choose a logon code for Practice Management to use when logging on to SQL.
- Practice Management uses this logon internally. We recommend using either "practice", or your Database Name.
- Enter a SQL Server Practice Management Password.
- Choose a password for Practice Management to use when logging on to SQL.
- Practice Management uses this password internally. We recommend using a strong password (example - Today123456789 or PracticeUser1).
- Do not use spaces or special characters in the password.
- Click Continue.
- Enter the Firm Name and Firm Fiscal Year-End date on the setup screen. The Firm Fiscal Year-End date defaults to 12/31 of the current calendar year.
- Enter the date correctly. Once entered you cannot change it.
- Click OK to save. A Checklist for setting up your firm will display. Access to this checklist is available from within the program to help you setup firm lists.
- Once you close the checklist, login to the Administration module of the program with the username SUPERVISOR, and the login screen will pop up.
- Login with the username SUPERVISOR and no password.
- Create a password.
Do you have a SQL add-on to your current backup software?
- If Yes, refer to your backup documentation on how to back up a SQL database.
- If No, contact your backup software provider for more information.
If you are a new firm and are setting up your database for the first time, see the attached Installation Guide for helpful hints.
If you are converting from another software, coordinate the timing of your installation with your data conversion. Your Sales representative will coordinate the timing of your conversion with Professional Services. Prior to the conversion date, Professional Client Services will send you several documents to help you identify what you will need to set up in Practice Management.
- See the attached Installation Guide for detailed installation steps and illustrations.
- Click to view our FAQ web page for Software Delivery Manager.
- Click to find out how to sign up for e-mail notifications when new product updates are available for download in Software Delivery Manager.