How do I update CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan to the newest version?
The video below explains how to install CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan using Software Delivery Manager.
Note: The video may show an earlier version of CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan. The installation instructions are identical for all versions of CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan.
Before You Begin
- The instructions in this article pertain to updating existing installations of CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan only, not installing for the first time. Click here if you are installing CCH ProSystem fx Scan for the first time.
- To update CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan, you first must install Software Delivery Manager. Click here for instructions on installing Software Delivery Manager.
- The steps in this article must be performed from the CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan Administrator workstation. Before proceeding with the download or installation, please move to the CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan Administrator computer.
- If any of the Import, Archive, or Export folders are located on a different server than CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan Administrator is installed, click here to configure CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan Administrator services to have access to another server's folders.
The process to update or install CH® ProSystem fx® Scan consists of two steps:
- Downloading the CH® ProSystem fx® Scan installation file from Software Delivery Manager.
- Completing the installation process.
Downloading the Installation File from Software Delivery Manager
- Open Software Delivery Manager.
- When prompted for a User ID and Password, enter your CCH® ProSystem fx® Office single sign-on (SSO) ID.
- By default, the User ID is your 6-digit CCH® ProSystem fx® account number.
- Select Scan from the list of products to install.
- Click Start Download in the lower right-hand corner.
- If prompted, select the location where you want to save the installation files, and then click OK.
- Note: During this step you are not installing anything yet. You are just downloading the files to be used for installing.
The download may take a bit of time, depending on your Internet bandwidth. Once the Download Status column displays "View product installation package," you are ready to continue.
As a reminder, the following steps must be done on the CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan Administrator computer. You should not try to uninstall a previous version of CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan Administrator, because the new version's installer removes a prior version (while preserving settings, jobs and job history, etc.) and then installs the newer version. You should disable all anti-virus software on the CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan Administrator computer before beginning the following procedure.
- In Software Delivery Manager, click View downloaded file in Windows next to Scan. A new Windows® Explorer window opens showing you the installation file that you just downloaded.
- Note: The file name might vary, depending on the version you downloaded. For example, if you downloaded Scan version 126.96.36.199 for use during the 2022-2023 tax season, the file is named "prosystem_fx_scan_188.8.131.52.exe".
- Right-click the installation file and select Run as administrator.
- If you are prompted to confirm that you want to allow CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan to modify your system, select Yes.
- Click Next.
- Review the License Agreement, then click I Agree.
- If needed, click Browse to select a different installation location.
- Click Install.
- When prompted for a permkey, select Use existing permission key, and then click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Go to the General Settings tab and click the Check Now button to have the program apply any catalog updates.
After updating the CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan Administrator module you must update the CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan Workstation application installations on those computers where you need it. See our article 000192320 "How do I install CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan Workstation?.