How do I move CCH® ProSystem fx® Tax to another computer or server?
Note: This article is to be only used if you are moving the tax program files (wfx32 folder) to a new computer. If you have a network installation of the program and the wfx32 folder is staying on an existing computer/file server that is hosting the files then all you need to do is run a workstation setup on that new computer/server after mapping the drive to the shared folder.
If you are indeed moving the tax program (wfx32 folder) off a computer/file server to another, please follow the instructions below.
Print a Firm Authorization Report and save it for your records
- Run the Firm Authorization Report and save it for your records.
- For steps on completing this process, see our solution on how do I print a firm authorization report for CCH ProSystem fx Tax.
- This report will need to be completed before the program is moved to the new computer/server.
- If this report is grayed out in your installation continue to the next step in the process.
Copy Wfx32 to New Server or Computer
- Browse to the drive where CCH ProSystem fx Tax is installed. The wfx32 folder will be at the root.
- Copy the wfx32 folder to the new location it will be run from.
- The wfx32 folder must be in the root of a drive.
- You will also need to copy and paste any Wfx[YY] folders to the root of the new location ([YY] = two digit year).
Edit Ctx.ini (if needed)
- If you will be running CCH ProSystem fx Tax from a different drive letter, you will need to edit Wfx32\ctx.ini.
- For example, if the old location was mapped as the M: drive, but on the new location the program is run from the T: drive.
- For steps on completing this process, see our solution in When moving CCH ProSystem fx Tax to a new server, how do I change the drive letter the program is assigned to?
Run Workstation Setup
- On each workstation using CCH ProSystem fx Tax a Workstation Setup needs to be run.
- Make sure that the new drive letter is mapped on these machines first.
- For steps on completing this process, see our solution on how to run Workstation Setup for CCH ProSystem fx Tax.
Note: The default location for the PDF files printed from Tax Preparation are created in ?:\Wfx32\Client\Pdf\YYT, where ?:\ is the location of the ProSystem fx Tax installation drive, YY is the Two Digit Tax Year, and T is the tax product. If the firm chose to change this default location, the location may need updated to reflect the new server.
- For more information, see our solution on how to change the default PDF file location.
- Please ensure that the system that you are moving CCH ProSystem fx Tax to meets the system requirements, antivirus requirements, and supported backup program requirements.
- What are the system requirements for CCH ProSystem fx Tax?
- What are the anti-virus requirements for CCH ProSystem fx Tax?
- What type of backup programs are supported with CCH ProSystem fx Tax?
- Group Policy Drive Mapping Preferences with Windows with Windows Server and Windows Workstation Operating Systems
- How to disable network share caching.
- Users will need full control of wfx32 on the new machine. Before allowing users to access Tax Preparation, verify that they have full control of the wfx32 folder.
- If the wfx32 folder on the new machine came from a backup instead of a direct copy, confirm that none of the folders/files have the Read-only attribute checked.