How do I manually convert .xls / .doc documents to the newer .xlsx / .docx format in CCH® ProSystem fx® Engagement or Workpaper Manager?
Warning! Do not use the Microsoft® Excel® or Word native Convert function as this may cause data loss. CCH® ProSystem fx® Engagement or Workpaper Manager will display an “Unable to open this workpaper because the file does not exist” error when opening the binder. Please see Converting documents from Microsoft® Office .doc and .xls to .docx and .xlsx formats in CCH® ProSystem fx® Engagement or Workpaper Manager can lead to loss of data for more information.
Engagement and Workpaper Manager v7.1 introduced an option to convert Microsoft® Office .xls / .doc workpapers to .xlsx / .docx when creating a new binder from roll forward or from copying and pasting a binder. In roll forward, the option is provided in the Verify Workpaper Roll Forward Settings screen of the wizard. Please see How do I convert Microsoft® Excel® and Word workpapers to the latest file format during roll forward in CCH® ProSystem fx® Engagement or Workpaper Manager for more information on converting workpapers.
If unable to convert the files when rolling forward or copying a binder, follow the instructions below:
- Open the existing file from the Binder.
- In the Microsoft® Excel® or Word file, use the Save As option.
- Change the Save As type to Excel Workbook (*.xlsx) or Word Document (*.docx).
- Save the new file to a location outside of the Binder.
- i.e., the Desktop.
- Insert the new (.xlsx) or (.docx) workpaper into the Binder using New Workpaper From File.
- Delete the original file from the Binder.
- If the original Microsoft® Excel® file contains OLE Links, they will have to be recreated in the new document.
- This process will NOT work for:
- Trial Balances
- TB Reports
- Knowledge Coach documents.