The CCH® ProSystem fx® Knowledge Coach ribbon does not display any icons.
This issue occurs when the CCH® ProSystem fx® Knowledge Coach VSTO addins cache was not deleted when the add-ins were installed initially, and in turn causes the VSTO files to not be able to install. If you attempt to install Pfx.KnowledgeCoach.Word.vsto, Pfx.KnowledgeCoach.WordAddin.vsto or Pfx.KnowledgeCoach.ExcelAddin.vsto you receive a message than there are some settings that need to be cleared out.
- Uninstall the ribbons.
- Open Microsoft® Word outside of Engagement.
- Go to File > Options > Add-ins.
- Choose COM Addin, then click Go and clear the box next to the following addins.
- Repeat steps 2-4 with Microsoft® Excel® and the following addins:
- Open Microsoft® Windows® File Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0.
- Press Windows Key+R, and in the Open box, type %appdata% and press Enter. This will take you to the C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming folder. You can navigate up one folder to access the Local folder and then browse to Apps > 2.0.
- The AppData folder is normally hidden from view. To be able to view hidden folders in Microsoft® Windows® File Explorer, click View and select Hidden items, under Show/hide.
- Copy the 2.0 folder to the Desktop, as a backup.
- This copy can be deleted later, once functionality in Microsoft® Office addins has been verified.
- In the original 2.0 folder, search all sub-folders for any files beginning with "Pfx" and delete only those files.
- Note: Do not delete items in the 2.0 folder other than our Pfx items as this could damage other applications.
- Reinstall the ribbons.
- Open up a Knowledge Coach document and verify that the icons are now showing up in the ribbon, and are functional, and you can answer questions in the document with no issues.
- Citrix Machines: Make sure that the Workpapers file location in File > Options > Trust Center > Trusted Locations in Microsoft® Word is pointing to the correct server where the workpapers reside. The program should automatically update this path to the correct location but the following registry setting needs to be set for that to happen.
- The registry key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node\ProFxENGAGEMENT30\WM\CitrixInstall. The value needs to be set to 1. If it is not, manually change the setting.
- If the setting is correct and the file path is still not getting updated than you will need to manually change the file location to \\[servername]\workpapers.
- This setting will need to be done for each user. A group policy can be created that updates this path by the network administrator.
- If following these steps do not work, than there may be a Group Policy Object called "Prevent Word and Excel from loading Managed Code Extensions" in place that is preventing the addins for Knowledge Coach to not function. You will need to check if this is enabled and if so remove that.